The original Memorial Hospital District was a 65-bed facility which opened September 5, 1949. In April 1963, the Hopkins County Hospital District was created and plans began for a new hospital building. Located on a 40-acre site, the present Memorial Hospital District was completed and occupied in November 1968. In July 2016, the Hopkins County Hospital District and CHRISTUS Health formed an alliance; CHRISTUS would, at that time, become the leasing entity of the actual hospital building, the employees and medical services provided through the hospital. The EMS and Communications departments would remain 100% Hopkins County Hospital District, which is governed by a board of directors.